Theatre of the early '900 in the historic center
Page created by firenzenotte - Last updated on 15/11/2019
Name: Teatro Verdi
Address: Via Ghibellina, 99/R , Florence
Tel: 055 212320
Teatro Verdi, originally called Teatro Pagliano, assumed this name in 1901. It stands on the place where once was built the prison of the Stinche. At the same site there was also a wash dell'Arte della Lana, whose memory has remained in the adjacent street of Washing. The theater has been realized thanks to the work of the baritone Girolamo Pagliano, who bought the building built at the beginning of the century over the old prisons and made it turn, designed diTelemaco Bonaiuti, in a plant with a large ovoid theater hall including stalls and his six rows of boxes could accommodate about four thousand spectators. It was inaugurated on September 10, 1854 with the opera Verdi's Rigoletto, or, as it was then called The Viscardello: although the work was a failure, the new theater building was much appreciated and was characterized by marked seasons of lyrical and dramatic performances presented by blockbuster companies.
The following years, always under the guidance of Pagliano, continued the opera performances both archive is new; the theater also hosted many festivals and celebrated in patriotic and civic initiatives such as the one to support the shipment of Garibaldi (1859), a concert for the Unification of Italy (1861) and a demonstration to ask for the abolition of the death penalty (1864) was attended by great performers and spectators major (first of tuttiVittorio Emanuele II).
In 1865 a fire put a strain on the structure of the theater, followed years in which the property passed from hand to hand up to the period between the two world wars in which the theater, with Castellani, hosted the operetta and the first great actors '900. At that time, as has been said, the name was changed to the current one.
After the break of World War I the theater resumed its activity on the initiative of the Workers' Society of the Theatre and in the twenty years between the wars its programming was characterized by vernacular comedies and variety shows that saw the protagonist-Curls Spring Company .
Passed into ownership to Raphael Castellani, it was completely renovated in 1949-1950. In the project of the architects Baroni and Maurizio Tempestini they proceeded to the consolidation of the old structures now in an advanced state of disrepair, it increased the capacity of the hall giving a more rational distribution to places and finally was endowed with the greatest theater annexes and better distributed. Other renovations were carried out to repair the damage caused by the flood of 1966 (at that time was equipped with a new movie screen, then the largest one in Italy) and finally, after 1985, for the adaptation of the structure with current safety standards. In the Sixties the opening date to pop music and international stars.
In 1994, for the 150 years since, were made in order to improve both aesthetics and acoustics, the latter obtained thanks to the new wood flooring, new seats and a new room acoustics for the orchestra .
For more information on the theater and on the planning visit the official website www.teatroverdionline.it
This page may have been translated using the Google automatic translate engine; please excuse any mistakes this translation might have.